The media + more venture is a joint venture capital company of the publishers Badisches Pressehaus GmbH & Co. KG in Freiburg, Druck & Medien Heilbronn GmbH in Heilbronn and VRM GmbH & Co. KG in Mainz. The three regional media companies are characterised by a high willingness to innovate, particularly in the digital sector, and offer a similar range of products and services (daily newspapers, classified journals/free papers, magazines, advertising agencies, printing, logistics, ticketing, radio, courier/mail service, software development as well as information and communication services). Through our broad reach, but also through our diverse know-how and network of portfolio companies and co-investors, we want to support startups and contribute to their long-term success.
media + more venture
who we are
- 28 bases, headquartered in Freiburg with 800 employees
- Over 25 print and digital products (main medium Badische Zeitung with 410,000 daily readers)
- 1.2 million distributed issues (print products of BZ.medien)
- 6.7 million visits per month (online portals of BZ.medien)
- 1.7 million unique user per month (online portals of BZ.medien)
Last updated: 2018
- Media company Heilbronner Stimme with 650 employees
- Regional newspaper Heilbronner Stimme with 240,000 daily readers
- Regional classified journals with 550,000 distributed issues per week
- 2.9 million visits per month (online portals of Heilbronner Stimme)
- 1.4 million unique user per month (online portals of Heilbronner Stimme)
Last updated: 2018
- 36 bases, headquartered in Mainz with 1,750 employees
- 34 daily newspapers, 48 weekly classified jornals and 16 news portals (main media Allgemeine Zeitung, Wiesbadener Kurier, Darmstädter Echo, Gießener Anzeiger and Wetzlarer Neue Zeitung with 1.1 million daily readers)
- 2.2 million distributed issues (print products of VRM)
- 6.6 million visits per month
- 2.0 million unique user per month
Last updated: 2018
Our profiles at:
what we are looking for
We invest in teams and topics with touch points to everything that is or will be relevant in the value chain “generate reach, market reach”. In doing so, we rely on the direct adjacency of the investment managers through their digital responsibility in the respective company and on close cooperation between the three publishing companies. As a strategic partner for startups, we do not only bring in our financial resources, but also our expertise in media and our broad network inside and outside of the German media industry.
Since the foundation of media + more venture in 2012, we have made several investments and we are proud of each and every portfolio company! This also includes our stakes in the High-Tech Gründerfonds (HTGF), which is the biggest seed investor in Germany, and in the next media accelerator (nma), which is specialized on very early stage founding teams with media-related business models.
AX Semantics is a software which automates text production in over 30 languages only based on structured data. Possible examples are weather forecasts, stock exchange and sports reports as well as product descriptions. Thanks to natural language processing the content is nearly indistinguishable from texts written by humans. Additions and corrections can be made directly via a user-friendly web-app.
Familonet is a locating app for family and friends with precise geofencing technology and simultaneously low battery consumption. User can share their location, send a „where are you“-request, send messages and pictures in a chat or send a distress signal including the current location. Predefined locations (such as home or school) are automatically checked in and checked out for the user.
Kimeta.de is a meta search engine for job ads. An artificial intelligence finds job ads on online job exchanges, company or career websites and via personnel consultancies. Then it classifies them according to qualitative criteria and topicality. Consequently Kimeta considers substantially more job positions than classic job exchanges. This is why it is one of the five portals for job vacancies with the widest reach in Germany.
Thanks to MessengerPeople companies can send text messages or media files directly and easily to their subscribers via the four biggest messenger services worldwide. For this purpose the user gives his consent to receive messages regularly via WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Insta or Telegram. The communication with the user is in real time and messages are usually sent fully automatically.
Pylba operates the mobile News-Aggregator Simply News, a worldwide very well reated news-app. It also serves as a blueprint for the whitelabel app, which is used by more than 30 publishers in their own branding. With the help of natural language processing a short summary of the full text is created automatically. Pylba received different awards for the easy-to-use design.
Werkstars is an online platform for buying car tires and for searching suitable garages in the surrounding area for specific car-related services. The user can compare the different service offers and prices, can arrange an appointment and rate the performance of the garage afterwards. Werkstars works with fixed prices, which the garages can calculate with the help of the software.